Hence, it is important to take care of our teeth and mouth for our overall health and a great smile. Dr CD Dwarakanath, Indian Society of Periodontology shares with us 10 everyday tips for a healthy mouth and teeth.
- Brush your teeth twice a day for at least 3-5 minutes.
- Place the bristles along the gum line at a 45-degree angle. Gently brush the outer tooth surfaces of 2-3 teeth using a vibrating back and forth motion. Clean outer, inner and biting surfaces of teeth with scrubbing motion.
- Use an anti-microbial mouthwash to get 100% protection. Studies show an essential oil based mouthwash reduces plaque by 70% and gum problems by 36% over brushing alone.
- Recommended dosage for mouthwash is 10ml undiluted for 30 seconds morning and night.
- Floss your teeth. Ease the floss gently between your teeth; pull the floss smoothly back and front.
- Brush and clean your tongue too.
- Quit smoking and chewing tobacco since these can cause gum diseases, bad breath, tooth discoloration and even oral cancer besides a whole lot of diseases of the body.
- Avoid sticky, sugary and starchy foods as these can lead to tooth decay. Instead consume foods rich in fibre, calcium and vitamin C.
- Too much consumption of tea and coffee should be avoided since they can stain your teeth.
- Go for a dental check-up once every 6 months even if you do not have any pain or discomfort as this will help diagnose any problems that might otherwise go undetected.